Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Movie Monday...

Ok... I know, it's Tuesday.  It's summer, I have no clue what day it is and I can't be bothered with details.  And it's still freaking HOT here in Africa Houston.
That means more movies...

First was an afternoon movie date with Dear Daughter.  I wanted to see Captain America, but she outvoted me and we ended up spending the afternoon with...


Kevin James is somewhat believable as a hapless but lovable zoo manager, and animals who talk is always a good schtick (Cher as the Lioness... LOVE).  The monkey is hysterical (Adam Sandler... DUH) and the bears and elephant cracked me up more than once.  For a PG rating I did think there were a few things that were tasteless and probably could have been left out... most kids would not understand what it means to "lead with your puddin' cup", but really necessary?  And at the advice of the wolf he pees on a tree to mark his territory?
Yeah... you get my drift.
Dear Daughter enjoyed it, but you could totally wait for Netflix.

Then it was DATE NIGHT... let's get a WOOT WOOT for date night!  Somehow I managed to get Handsome Hubby to go see what I ASSUMED he would label 
the 
dreaded
CHICK FLICK... 


Do NOT wait for Netflix to see this one if you don't have to... Handsome Hubby even liked it.  As Laugh Out Loud Funny as it was thought provoking and touching, and if you are a person like me some that I know who have been married forever a good amount of time, you will totally "get" this movie... or, if you are a young, cute hottie like Emma Stone (the smarter SOBER version of Lohan, if you haven't seen Easy A, Netflix NOW) or Ryan Gosling (HELLO Ryan Gosling!), you will also "get" this movie.  Julianne Moore?  LOVE.  Kevin Bacon?  O.M.G... every girl who ever saw Footloose in high school, UBER LOVE.
Steve Carell and Marisa Tomei?  Just flipping HYSTERICAL.  
Good stuff... go see it.  PRONTO.

In other entertainment news this Movie Monday (OKAY, Tuesday)...
Did you know (or care) MTV just had it's 30th Anniversary?  THIRTY YEARS.  Umm... that means those of us who actually remember when MTV (in case my younger friends don't know, that DID stand for MUSIC Television) played videos and had these groovy peeps called VJ's must now be officially O.L.D. 

Maybe VINTAGE is a better word... you know how I LOVE vintage.

The ORIGINAL MTV VJ's... can you name them?

Really, we ARE the original MTV generation,
and that just makes us, like totally, like bitchin'...
(I should be embarrassed to admit how many times I have seen Valley Girl,
but I'm not).

12 comments:

Kay said...

Sounds like a couple of fun nights out! I'm considering braving the Smurf movie with my little ones.

Denise said...

I'd like to see both movies and I want to see Larry Crowne too! Probably have to wait til dvd's for all of them as we hardlynever go to the movies!!, it'll be 108 here in Austin today! Stay cool!

Janet said...

Oh man. I'm old. I remember when MTV first came on and we watched it ALL the time, and I mean ALL the time. Those DJs are JJ, Nina Blackwood, Mark?, Martha and Alan--forgot most of the last names, but thanks for the blast from the past!

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I'd rather see Capt. America myself:) Hope you have time to stop by my place this week. I am your latest follower from GFC - hope you can stop by soon and return the favor. http://www.shaunanosler.blogspot.com/

Rachel J said...

Man, 30 years! I do remember the days when it played videos though, those were the good ol days (of course I was the TRL generation. Good times)

Martha said...

Two movie dates, I'm jealous! Zookeeper looks like it would be funny, on Netflix, and Crazy Stupid Love, looks awesome! Love Emma Stone (we own Easy A) and Kevin Bacon.. Kyra is a lucky lady!

Stopping by from Tuesday Train, I'd love for you to stop by!

Mom on Caffeine

Kimberly said...

I loved Crazy, Stupid, Love...saw it this weekend too.

pasqueflower said...

Love your reviews. I Saved
Crazy, Stupid, Love on Netflix :-).

LeAnn aka pasqueflower

Heather said...

I totally got dragged to the Smurfs this weeked!

I have heard that Crazy Stupid Love is awesome. Now if I can just find a way to schedule a date night!!!

MTV is 30 years old. UNBELIEVABLE! I can not be that old...

Sam said...

Woohoo! Glad to hear Crazy Stupid Love was good - I've been debating seeing that. I love 90% of the cast, and Steve Carrel/Emma Stone crack me up... not to mention the hotness that is Ryan Gosling... ;)

thanks for the review! Happy Tuesday! (If it makes you feel any better, I thought it was Wednesday and that I had to work.. oops!)

Susie B. Homemaker said...

I want to see both those movies! I'll definitely be picking up Crazy Stupid Love from the Redbox as soon as I can now. New follower :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! We decided on Cars 2 for the boys instead of The Zookeeper, but I am happy to hear your review! I wasn't thrilled with the storyline of cars 2 but I still think it was ok for a second and eye-catching for the boys. They loved it and that's all that matters. New follower, look forward to more flick reviews! Would love it if you had the chance to stop by.
http://inspiredlangley.com
Crystal

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...