Thursday, May 19, 2011

Regrets Only...


I am sitting at the computer this morning catching up on my blog reading and printing invitations... approximately forty invitations that must be hand-fed through my color printer. URRRRGGG...  It is a slow and agonizing process, but one I will not complain about because I am about to reveal one of my greatest pet peeves.  EVITES.  Ok, I know we are in an age of technology, and I myself am on the computer probably way more than I should admit... but seriously, some things should not be relegated to a quick push of the "send" key.  Blame it on my Southern upbringing, but I want some pretty paper with a fancy font in an envelope with my name printed by hand on the front.

Dear Daughter and I are helping host a little "graduation" party for a group of her girlfriends...  they are heading off to big bad junior high next year and we wanted to give them an opportunity to celebrate their friendships before the spoils of middle school cliques cast their evil shadow.  Instead of the standard pool party or melee at a jumpy emporium, we decided to host a good ol' fashioned ice cream and cake social.. a "big girl" party of sorts where they will be wearing dresses and acting like they are somewhat mature.  I think that requires a real, bona-fide, printed, stamped and sent through the US Mail invitation.   There are so many cute, inexpensive ways to make invitations at home.  For this party, I found a kit at Hobby Lobby which included everything right down to the pre-cut ribbon.

I'm sure it makes me sound outdated, but I want my kids to learn some social graces... seems there aren't too many left but that doesn't mean they aren't acknowledged and appreciated just the same.  So, back we go to feeding, printing, assembling, stuffing, licking, stamping and addressing...

Birthday Party Invitation for Kids or Adults

Printable Party Invitations

I Design, You Print Invitations

11 comments:

My Life Under the Bus said...

Those are very cute - I agree evites bite...

Judy El Masri said...

Amen, sister :) P.S. you can delegate ;)

Christi Borden said...

You know how I feel about old fashioned invitations. I think evites is perfect for quick, very informal gatherings but just darned lazy and cheap for nicer affairs.. Kind of like using paper napkins for a sit down dinner... Nice post!

Eyelah said...

Evites are lame. It ruins the old-fashion paper invites. Everyone loves mail.

christina said...

I soooooo agree with you! Plus, how exciting to get something from the mail box!!! Now if only you had a way to make people RSVP, that's MY pet peeve! I'm teaching my kiddos the importance of these two things!!!

Miss Meg said...

I 100% agree with you on beautiful paper invitations. I personally LOVE making invitations (and my annual holiday card) I love that you are sharing this tradition with you daughter and hope that she will continue sending beautiful invitations to all of her fun parties as she grows up too. I also beautiful colorful envelopes, awesome address labels (I make the wrap round kind), matching the stamps if I can and if it's very special - having the post office hand cancel them. Then it's like getting a pretty little gift in the mail!

Kristen said...

Oh, I also dislike those who do not RSVP. I'm not keep on the e-vites either. I love to get mail and invitations are very exciting. Kudos on teaching social graces. Lord knows we need more of that out there.

Paige @ Little Nostalgia said...

I am WITH YOU on this. Some people will say, "Oh, but I'm saving trees, blah, blah," but trees will be saved when people recycle the paper invitations anyway. Moot point!

My husband and I got an evite for a wedding once, and we laughed and laughed. But they were family so we had to keep our mouths shut.

Unknown said...

I am the same way. I love making invites and think they are way more personal and cuter than a just plain email.

Memories for Life said...

Invitations can be tedious, but they look so great when they're done!
I too love getting a pretty invite in the mail opposed to an Evite!

Have fun at the party :)

Of The Fountain said...

As someone who used to work for Hobby Lobby for 7 years, I can attest to the awesomeness of the crap that is sold there! The invitation selection (in the Cards & Party department as well as the Wedding department) is *amazing*.

Good luck on the party! I think it's a really neat idea. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...