Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Drab to Fab

Every home has things we've had for years that are functional, but no longer "work" with our decor or just look TIRED... kind of like me.  HA!  My mom says we should all get to have another wedding shower after 20 years to replace all the stuff that doesn't work or is just outdated.  I think some men call that a mid-life crisis... but I DIGRESS.  Since I haven't talked any of my friends into hosting that shower, I've found there are some quick ways to spruce up things around the house.  Here's an easy little project I just finished for my etsy store to give you an idea...


This is a CUTCO Kitchen Tool Holder... these retail for $39, have lifetime guarantee,  are made of sturdy oak and there is NO reason to get rid of it except the oak color is kind of drab and doesn't have much POP.   What it looked like to me was an awesome blank canvas...

One coat of spray primer, and 2 coats of black satin spray paint got me started... digging in my stash I found this scrap of toile scrapbook paper and a leftover "jewel" I had from another project.


Trimmed a piece of the toile to fit one side and whipped out my trusty Mod Podge to apply... one coat of Mod Podge, then lay down the paper, smooth it out, wait 15 minutes and apply a second coat on top.  The smell of Mod Podge always makes me feel like I am in 3rd grade doing a paper mache pinata out of a blown-up ballon... remember?  Here's a cute Easter Egg Version with a link to the EASY How-To:

Easter Egg Pinata How-To
There I go digressing again!  Back to our project...

I attached the "jewel" to the front with this Super Glue Gel, which I love because it has a very controlled dispenser and doesn't run everywhere (thus gluing your fingers together)...


I finished the entire thing off with a coat of satin varnish and here is the finished product...

Upcycled Cutco Kitchen Tool Holder

So fun, and so many uses... pencil holder, craft supplies, q-tips... you name it.  I'm sure there is something in your home just waiting for a facelift, or a new "purpose"... have fun with it!  If you're just not feeling so crafty, this and other "upcycled" and repurposed items are available in my store... Orangie's Attic  Come see me!

8 comments:

beth neely said...

oh my gosh, you are so good. i would have never of seen the final product from the very top picture.

My Life Under the Bus said...

Aaahhhh the smell of spray paint and glue...nothing better...well except for chocolate : ) It came out great!

Liz said...

Oooooh I love what you made! I like how you built up to it in your post too. :)

lilgreenshop said...

Great transformation!

Following you now - saw your post on euf

Sarah said...

Ooh very nice! You've given me some ideas now ;)

Ashley said...

Love this! I've just started improving the plain objects I have in my house to make them look a bit more lively. :]

Hyperspace Hippo said...

That is amazing! I wish I were this creative!

Anonymous said...

Other information necessary to inform the dexter missouri golf course ISD taxpayers of the needs established by the bond steering committee;
there is certainly not one on the SISD Website.

My web blog zachariah hedrick

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...